Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Jenny's Book 10.15: Their Eyes Were Watching God

Kelly,

Have you ever read this book? This is one of those books I added to my list pretty last minute, really wanting to add more female authors to my final list. This for years has been one of those books that "feels like I *must have* read this before",  I was an English major! But I'm pretty sure I haven't, or if I did, I did a piss poor job of reading it.

Not sure what made me pick up a copy, but it moved up the list because it's a pretty short read. However, as you may or may not know,  is is also written in dialect. And it is CHALLENGING. I decided to download the audiobook, which is narrated by Ruby Dee.

However, after listening to a few minutes of it, I decided even just the audiobook by itself wasn't quite working for me. Instead, I've been reading the book along with listening.

I have to tell you, it's an amazing experience. The language is so rich, and Ruby Dee's narration is just fantastic.

Not going to say much about it here, it's a slow process. I'm only on page 30, but I will report back soon. I try to listen to a little every night before I go to bed. Hoping to finish by Thanksgiving!

Jenny

1 comment:

  1. I did read it... in college. So of course I do not remember much about it. Except that it was difficult to read -- both because of the language and because of the story.

    I have had really good experiences reading + listening to books that are written in dialect. It helps to have the aBook narrator in my head while I am also reading the pBook.

    ReplyDelete